A community forum held on Saturday 19 May brought state and federal politicians together from key political parties to discuss urgent reform suggestions for the aged care industry nationwide.
ANMF (SA Branch) CEO/Secretary Adj Assoc Prof Elizabeth Dabars AM participated in the panel discussion alongside Hon Stephen Wade MLC, SA Minister for Health and Wellbeing (representing the Liberal Party); Federal ALP MP for Hindmarsh Steve Georganas; Greens SA representative Matthew Trainor; National Seniors’ Ian Henschke and Oakden whistleblower Stewart Johnston.
Many concerned family and community members in the audience were joined by Independent Federal Senator Tim Storer, who hasn’t finalised or declared his position but tweeted powerful personal stories and specific action requests from the forum.
Specific topics of discussion included:
- The impact and challenges facing residents and their loved ones in aged care.
- More industry-wide funding for targeted reform
- Minimum staff ratios and skill mix
- National training standards and requirements
- Mandatory reporting of elder abuse
To view the video of discussions, visit https://www.facebook.com/agedcarereform/videos/625416281137670/